Businesses are commonly run from buildings and office space, seemingly cut off from what happens in the external world. In actuality, companies are interconnected with each other whether they like it or not, and this has an impact on management. If a business owner or manager is oblivious to the ongoings in the world around them, then he or she will miss key information that can make or break a company. In a way, a person's approach and focus on management is determined by the economy. If the local economy is bad as far as the cost of living and employment, then that could equate to less foot traffic. Also, local customers may gravitate towards a specific product or service, and if your business does not specialize in what customers want, then your business could suffer. These are just very generalized hypotheticals, but it helps to have these things in mind. The following are a few essential tips on management.
Use technology and software to take a modern approach on management. Management isn't just about telling people what to do and what not to do. In many cases, you have to effectively teach and demonstrate job tasks, such as showing a training video about workplace safety. Also, managers should use technology to automate as many processes as possible, to increase efficiency for both the business and employees.
Be as competent as the senior executives in an organization when trying to focus on management from a middle or lower level. Although you may not have the same compensation package as your CEO or vice president, you should try to learn as much as possible about the business, as if you could one day serve in those roles. When companies consider succession, they often pick from the lower ranks. If not else, you are more informed about running the business so that you can remain effective in your role as manager.
Pursue other skill sets that complement the traditional role on management. Many people have no formal training on management. Others come from other professions, such as an engineer who becomes a manager. Increase your skill set and value to a the company by learning new things, such as how to use computing and e-commerce technology to help the business grow and scale up.
Sources and Citations
- "Managing in Extraordinary Times: Economic Downturn Strategies - Accenture Outlook ." Global Management Consulting, Technology and Outsourcing Services from Accenture . N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.accenture.com/us-en/outlook/pages/outlook-journal-2009-economic-downturn-strategies.aspx>.
- " List of Top Management Consulting Firms Worldwide – Best Global management consultants | CEOWORLD Magazine." CEOWORLD News. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://ceoworld.biz/ceo/2010/12/21/list-of-top-management-consulting-firms-worldwide-best-global-management-consultants>.
- "11 Tips for Building and Managing a Team." Small Business News, Tips, Advice - Small Business Trends. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://smallbiztrends.com/2012/01/11-tips-for-building-managing-a-team.html>.
- "10 Time Management Tips That Work | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/219553>.
- "10 Tips for Boosting Employee Morale | Inc.com." Small Business Ideas and Resources for Entrepreneurs. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.inc.com/guides/2011/01/10-tips-for-boosting-employee-morale.html>.
- "6 Essential Tips for Ads That Get Results | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/202000>.
- "Essential Elements of a Good Business Plan | SBA.gov." The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business/starting-business/writing-business-plan/essential-elements-good-busines>.
- "Managing Multiple Bosses - Amy Gallo - Best Practices - Harvard Business Review." HBR Blog Network - Harvard Business Review. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://blogs.hbr.org/hmu/2011/08/managing-multiple-bosses.html>.
- "Managing a Business | SBA.gov." The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business/managing-business>.
- Siebdrat, Frank, Martin Hoegl, and Holger Ernst. " How to Manage Virtual Teams." MIT Sloan Management Review - The New Business of Innovation. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://sloanreview.mit.edu/the-magazine/2009-summer/50412/how-to-manage-virtual-teams/>.
- "The Essential Guide to Federal Employment Laws - Nolo." Lawyers, Legal Forms, Law Books & Software, Free Information - Nolo. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.nolo.com/products/the-essential-guide-to-federal-employment-laws-FEMP.html>.