It has been centuries since Jan Huygen van Linschoten took one glimpse at the Taiwan and fell irrevocably in love. Until now this delicate country in the Orient had found ways to excite the people who frequent her shores. The Taiwan of today fuses the lure of ancient days with the modernity of the 21st century. Taiwan vacations are a must for those bitten by the wanderlust bug. These are six reasons why the “Ilha Formosa” remains a popular travel destination.
1. Visit the National Palace Museum in Taipei. It houses impressive pieces of historical art that will help give you a feel of the olden days. The items are constantly monitored for signs of damage and remain in pristine condition. Many of these treasures date back as far as the 10th century. Get swept away into the majestic glamor of the days gone by.
2. Make it to the top of Taipei 101. Rise high above everything else and enjoy a great view of the city. This is one of the tallest buildings in the world. This feat of the modern age makes it one of the top tourist destinations in Taipei.
3. Visit Lian Lake to take scenic pictures. It is found South of Banping Mountain in Kaohsiung. This wonderful body of water is also called 'Lotus Pond'. Snap a few shots of the majestic sculptures found near the temple. The Tiger and Dragon Pagodas look beautiful in the sunset.
4. Brave the crowds at the Raohe Street Night Market. This is the perfect shopping destination for all the bargain hunters. The night market has everything from clothes to food. Haggle to your heart's content for souvenirs and quality clothing. The stalls set up at about 6 pm and close at 1 or 2 am.
5. Get lost in Kinmen Island for a day. It is known for the colorful and quaint buildings. These buildings were built in the old Fukien style. There are many eye-catching temples in the island. The vibrant colors and the friendly people will make you want to stay for good.
6. Travel to Xinbei to witness the Ping-Shi Sky Lantern Festival. Febuary 17 is the last day of the Chinese New Year and they release thousands of lanterns into the heavens to celebrate it. It is a very beautiful sight.
Tips and comments:
Taiwan is a country that is both old and new. It's charm relies on the perfect balance of both those elements. Take a trip and fall in love with this treasure of the Orient.