Regarding the normal anatomy of human body, the thoracic cavity is that part of body that lies between the neck and the diaphragm and is normally known as chest. Any kind of pathology that affects the normal anatomy or physiology of thoracic cavity is put down under the heading of thoracic diseases. Chest malformations, tumors, interstitial diseases, infections and many other types of diseases are known as thoracic diseases.
Various kinds of thoracic diseases:
- Lung cancer is the most common form of tumors in thoracic diseases. It is the leading cause of death in developed countries. Early detection on the basis of symptoms improves prognostic value of treatment offered. Surgery plus chemotherapy or radiation therapy may be curative in late stages of this disease.
- The other significant term in thoracic diseases discussion is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and is described as the group of diseases linked to common difficulty in expelling air out of the lungs. The other commonly seen infective types of thoracic diseases are termed as COPD or COLD are asthma, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema.
- Under the heading of inflammatory and fibrotic thoracic diseases come the problems of interstitial tissue. Such thoracic diseases or lung problems are pulmonary fibrosis, which are actually genetic disorders, like cystic fibrosis and other problems which are due to inhaled substances, infections, medications forms the type of connective tissue thoracic diseases.
- Another treatment procedure that comes under the topic of indirect thoracic diseases is removal of sympathetic chain in thorax which is to treat hyperhidrosis which refers to excessive sweating in body that is caused by hyperactivity of the autonomic nervous system, which can be treated medically or through a simple surgical procedure known as an endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS).
- Other thoracic diseases have wide connections to the management of benign and malignant esophageal disease, esophageal cancer, adenocarcinoma, stricture etc. Even after the foreign body inhalation or treating aortic aneurysms etc. may count under thoracic diseases.
- In thoracic diseases come the problems such as gastro esophageal reflux diseases, which are a common digestive disorder with symptoms of heartburn, which are a much less dangerous form of diseases of esophagus and are treated with medication, only.
- Mesothelioma is one of those thoracic diseases which are being treated by multimodality approach and thus that offers the patients a best chance for getting the cure.
- Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disorder that causes muscular weakness. A thoracic diseases intervention including minimally invasive removal of the thymus gland. The neurology, pain management, pulmonology, and critical care have hugely improved the effectiveness and safety of thymus gland removal.
- Pectus excavatum comes under the heading of structural thoracic diseases; an improper development of the chest wall, which affects several ribs and the sternum to grow into an abnormal form, resulting in a caved-in or depressed bone appearance.
Tips and Comments
Cystic fibrosis is a severe, genetically-determined disease involving the lungs and gastrointestinal tract, as well as other organs. This can be included in as a part of thoracic diseases. This disease affects the glands that secrete sweat and mucus so the skin is salty an idea in children assessment as asked from mother. Cystic fibrosis is often supportively treated with antibiotics and special exercises for draining mucus in the chest. Otherwise it does not have a cure as such.