The book entitled Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions has registered since its launching a real success among a special category of readers. This book is addressed to administrative and clinical medical assistants, having a wide range of responsibilities related to coding, billing, telephone screening, patient examinations, etc. Through its content, the book offers access to the most common pathological conditions, providing useful information that can be used to understand diagnostic and treatment procedures, and to develop patient education programs. The 5th edition of the Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions book, was published in 19 March 2012. The book can now be found in libraries or can be ordered online from Amazon.
With this book readers will have access to the most common pathological conditions seen and diagnosed in the office of a physician. Since the first edition, the book content has been updated continuously, in order to reflect the changes registered in the medical field. Therefore, the latest edition of Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions contains descriptions of more than 500 diseases and disorders, and the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes for each entry of a disease. The book is accompanied by a website that can help to understand better medical conditions, using various tools and exercises, patient screening, questions for various certification exams, and other useful web links.
The book comes with a large content of various diseases and conditions that can be encountered, including codes, symptoms and signs, etiology, screening of the patient, clinical tests, diagnostic assessment, options for treatment, prognosis, how to prevent diseases and teach patients. Some of the most important subjects treated in the book Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions, are:
- presentation of the most common diseases;
- clarification texts and additional information are available next to related topics;
- the encyclopedia-type format used to present diseases, that helps to classify and locate them easier;
- detailed descriptions of various disorders;
- ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes for each disease;symptoms and signs of each of the presented disorders;
- how to screen by telephone and how to intervene in emergency situations;
- various discussions about diagnostic and laboratory testing;
- options for treatment;
- a presentation of possible outcomes for each disease;
- how to prevent and teach patients about prevention;
- appendixes containing panic values and other useful information, as telephone numbers and mail addresses of assistance agencies;
- a glossary with words translated in Spanish;
- learning objectives of a student;
- photos and illustrations of various diseases;
- latest researches results on cancers and autoimmune disorders;
- other recent information about various disorders.
The authors of the book Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions are:
*Margaret Schell Frazier, RN, CMA, BS; a Formerly Department Chair, Health and Human Services Division, Program Chair, Medical Assisting Program, Ivy Tech State College, Fort Wayne, IN; and
*Jeanette Wist Drzymkowski, RN, BS, Formerly Associate Faculty, Ivy Tech State College, Northesast, Fort Wayne, IN; and
*Sandra J. Dotty, RN, ADN, as contributing author.