The nose is an important part of the body. Diseases of the nose can get transferred to the ears, the mouth, the brain, and even in the gastrointestinal tract. Diseases of the nose can create a mess in your healthy daily routine. It causes afflictions and the part where its gets on your nerves because you can't breathe, had to sneeze all the time, clean your runny nose in public and can't smell all the favorite scents of your choice. Diseases of the nose have all the aspects of social, mental and physical distress. Therefore it is important for us to know about diseases of the nose, as we come across them in our daily life routine.
There are many types of diseases of the nose and they are categorized under these main types.
- Congenital diseases of the nose: Diseases of the nose can be present by birth, most common in deviated nasal septum which leads to recurrent nasal and sinus infections. Others are nasal atresia in which nostils are blocked by membranes. The shape of nose and its structure can be deformed.
- Allergic diseases of the nose: Due to hay fever, dust allergy or pollen the involvement of nose is mandatory. Sneezing and runny red nose is a prominent problem. It can due to many infective agents like dust, cold, stress, pollen, emotional states and etc.
- Infectious diseases of the nose: Ranging from vestibule to furuncle the infective diseases of the nose in general are the most common problems. The rhinitis and bacterial invasion of the mucosa is the leading complaints. Some people have chronic bacterial invasion in their nose from where these bacteria transfer to ear and mouth etc., due to habitual nose picking.
- Polyp diseases of the nose: The mass in nose due to chronic infection or diseases of the nose leads to formation of polyps, which are red edematous fleshy masses. They are extension of nasal mucosa. These are treated by cutting via surgery called polypectomy.
- Rhinitis diseases of the nose: Rhinitis is the allergic related diseases of the nose, in which the reason can be vasomotor and non-allergic rhinitis for example, the emotional, drug induced, cold exposure and other types other than infective and allergic etiology.
- Traumatic diseases of the nose: Trauma causes injury to the nose. Nasal fracture and epistaxis are the most common and are managed according to the symptoms. Foreign body in the nose is also a part of it. The late complications such as septum perforation or a septum hematoma are important problems which cause breathing problems and snoring.
- Sinusitis diseases of the nose: Nose is associated with four pairs of Para nasal sinus, bone cavities that help in voice resonance and keeps the skull bone light. They have same mucosa type as of nose, which might get infected and produce pussy discharge. These may get super infected with fungi and may result in bone diseases of the nose and surrounding face. The problem may be acute or chronic.
- Carcinoma diseases of the nose: Carcinomatous diseases of the nose mean juvenile fibroma in males young adults. There are other types of cancers associated with nose are potato tumor nose etc.
- Drug diseases of the nose: Due to prolonged and continuous use of some vasoconstrictor nasal sprays, the mucosal atrophic diseases of the nose occurs and also the inferior turbinate hypertrophy occurs leading to a continuous feeling of obstructive diseases of the nose.
Symptoms of diseases of the nose include a runny nose, anterior discharge, post-nasal discharge, a red nose, a painful nose, bleeding, loss of smell, rash on the nose, swelling in the nose, sneezing, dry coughing, and congestion.
Preventing and treating nose diseases involves adopting good hygiene habits, cleaning the nose regularly, regular checkups, and a good diet. Proper treatment will help you avoid any recurrences.
Most Recent Articles
Symptoms Of Nasal Diseases
Symptoms of nasal diseases vary based on the exact condition. Common nasal diseases include allergies, deviated septums and nasal polyps. Each nasal disease has a specific treatment course t...