Consumers hardly ever have to worry about the technical aspect of playing a DVD movie at home. Traditionally, people buy or rent DVDs from local stores and then insert the disc into the set top DVD player. The player automatically spins the disc, reading the digital video data on the business side of the disc. After pressing the Play button, a movie appears on the TV set. No "software" is ever involved, from the user perspective, although it is in use on the set top DVD in some form.
PC users, on the other hand, can do much more with DVD media. Not only can people watch DVD movies using software and hardware on the PC, but users can also create their own DVD discs. For example, families commonly video tape special occasions, such as holidays, birthdays, graduations and weddings. After the digital footage has been captured to the memory inside the video camera, users can transfer the file to the hard drive on a PC, where the possibilities become nearly limitless.
In the case of making DVDs to hand out to family and friends, PC owners need to have access to DVD burner software. If you have access to burner software, but unsure how to correctly install the program, you can use the following general steps to guide you through the process.
Install the DVD burner drive hardware before the software, if you don't already have a DVD drive. Refer to the instruction manual that came with the DVD burner drive, as the authoritative guide. For example, an "internal" DVD drive fits inside the tower of a desktop computer.
First, you may have to remove the cover or case to access the bay or port that holds the DVD drive, along with the hard disk drive. Internal drives connect directly to the motherboard, or mainboard, inside case. In the case of "external" DVD burners, the entire drive stands alone on the outside of the computer, for both desktops and laptops. The connection is via a simple USB cable.
Restart the computer, if necessary, if your computer is not recognizing the DVD burner. In general, the operating system, such as Windows, already has a type of software installed called a device drive. This file helps your PC recognize the new hardware.
You may also need to restart the PC so that the, the basic input output system, or BIOS, can recognize the new burner.
Install the DVD burner software, per the manufacturer's instructions. This software is usually on a CD or DVD disc that you insert into an existing or the newly installed DVD drive.
Follow the onscreen instructions to install the DVD burner software. Read and then click "Next" button to advance the installation instructions on the screen.
Open the DVD burner software, after installation is complete. You may be able to click on the icon on the desktop on in All Programs on the Start Menu to open the burner application. Insert a blank DVD disc into the burner. Select the video files on your hard drive that will be burned to a DVD. Click the "Burn" button.
Alternatively, if your PC uses the Microsoft Windows operating system, consider burning DVDs with the free and native Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center applications.
Sources and Citations
- "Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Explorer." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-in-Windows-Explorerandgt..
- "Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player: frequently asked questions." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-in-Windows-Media-Player-frequently-asked-questionsandgt..
- "DVD-Video burning: frequently asked questions." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/DVD-Video-burning-frequently-asked-questionsandgt..
- "Erase a CD or DVD." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Erase-a-CD-or-DVDandgt..
- "Troubleshoot problems with creating a DVD-Video using Windows DVD Maker." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Troubleshoot-problems-with-creating-a-DVD-Video-using-Windows-DVD-Makerandgt..
- "What is a DVD burner and why do I need one?." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/What-is-a-DVD-burner-and-why-do-I-need-oneandgt..
- "Top Best CD and DVD Burning Software or Programs for you | CEOWORLD Magazine." CEOWORLD News. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://ceoworld.biz/ceo/2010/11/06/top-best-cd-and-dvd-burning-software-or-programs-for-youandgt..
- Bilton, Ricardo. "Sony's latest Blu-Ray/DVD burner works without a PC | ZDNet." Technology News, Analysis, Comments and Product Reviews for IT Professionals | ZDNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/sonys-latest-blu-raydvd-burner-works-without-a-PC/26385andgt..
- Lichtenberg, Matt. " Disc-burning tips for Windows 7." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Disc-burning-tips-for-Windows-7andgt..
- " Disc burning: frequently asked questions." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Disc-burning-frequently-asked-questionsandgt..
- "iTunes 10 for Mac: Disc burning overview." Apple - Support. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1746andgt..
Most Recent Articles
What You Need To Know About Windows Software
The term Windows software generally refers to Microsoft Windows operating systems such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. These operating systems allow the user to operate a comput...
What You Need To Know About Contract Management Software
All businesses, regardless of their size, are taking advantage of inventing and rising programs that help companies to amalgamate and undertake contracts between vendors, customers, employee...
Tips And Ideas For Marketing Program
Making a business proposal is very important when you’re planning to start a business. It would help you identify if the business that you’re going to invest in is profitable or ...