The black print cartridge is probably the most used color for printers in households and for businesses. This color is probably the biggest headache and concern for many users, as well. Even if a printer supports other colors, such as cyan, magenta and yellow, the machine may not be able to produce print outs without a black cartridge.
The black print cartridge is generally cheaper at retail stores, in comparison to color cartridges, but that does not mean it is economical by any means for some users. Some people get regular use out of a printer, especially for printing out black and white documents on paper.
The following tips and ideas can help users get more use out of the black print cartridge.
Refill the black print cartridge, instead of discarding it into the trash. You can find refill kits at local and online office supply retailers. The kits usually involve some type of drilling device that creates a hole in the top of the black print cartridge, where there wasn't one originally. Then you use a syringe to pump replacement black ink into the container.
This is a semi-technical procedure, since you are jerry rigging the cartridge to function in a way that the original manufacturer did not intend. In fact, it is highly discouraged, but you will find many refill kits still on the market. Be sure to read the refill instructions carefully before starting the procedure.
Choose a lesser-quality printer setting to help the black print cartridge last longer. The finer and crisper the text and images on the paper, the more ink is necessary. However, if you only need to temporarily view text on paper that is then discarded afterward, then don't waste all of your ink.
Click on the "Printer Properties" button in the dialog box right before you send the document from your PC to the printer. Consult your printer's manual for instructions on how to change the print quality.
Take your black print cartridge to a local recycling center and get some money back. A regular black ink cartridge may cost $20 brand new. The recycling center may only award $2 to $5. However, if you go through several cartridges in a year, this can add up over time. Additionally, that same recycling center may sell remanufactured black ink cartridges at significantly reduced prices over newer cartridges.
Sources and Citations
- "Find a printer manufacturer's website." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Find-a-printer-manufacturers-website>.
- "Apple Ink-Jet Printer Supplies." Apple - Support. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21667>.
- "Comparing Ink Options for Business Printers | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217916>.
- "Discount ink cartridges - HP printer supplies - HP Small and Medium Business." HP - United States | Laptop Computers, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/inkjet-cartridges-choice.html>.
- "From the Tips Box: Revitalizing Ink Cartridges with a Water Infusion - How-To Geek." How-To Geek - Computer Help from your Friendly How-To Geek. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/45641/from-the-tips-box-revitalizing-ink-cartridges-with-a-water-infusion/>.
- "Lexmark wins CES award for all-in-one printer with $5 ink cartridge | ZDNet ." Technology News, Analysis, Comments and Product Reviews for IT Professionals | ZDNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/lexmark-wins-ces-award-for-all-in-one-printer-with-5-ink-cartridge/29164>.
- "How Much Ink Is Left in That Dead Cartridge? | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/198918>.
- "How to Skimp on Printer Ink." Kiplinger - Personal Finance, Business, Investing, Retirement, and Financial Advice. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/kiptips/archives/how-to-skimp-on-printer-ink.html>.
- "Ink-Jet Printers: Ink Cartridge Life Span." Apple - Support. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://support.apple.com/kb/TA35530?viewlocale=en_US>.
- "Why Printer Ink Is So Expensive - SmartMoney.com." Online Investing: Stocks, Personal Finance & Mutual Funds at SmartMoney.com - SmartMoney.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/rip-offs/printer-inks-murky-math/>.
- "More about printer ink rip-offs | Defensive Computing - CNET News." Technology News - CNET News. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10084935-33.html>.
- "Printer Ink Cartridge Refill: A Bargain?." HP - United States | Laptop Computers, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/printer-ink-refill.html>.
- "Smart and Easy Ways to Reduce Printing Costs." Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2012. <http://lifehacker.com/5031086/smart-and-easy-ways-to-reduce-printing-costs>.