A diploma that is earned from online degrees universities or on campus, is the result of the same hard work by the student. A person has to enroll in the course, take instruction from an instructor, study the materials and then get tested on his or her proficiency in a subject. If a person fails to perform these general steps towards obtaining a degree, disappointment and failure may result, instead joy and a sense of accomplishment from earning a college education.
That being said, attending online degrees universities may require extra work and due diligence on the part of students, over and beyond students who attend classes on campus. In many cases, students who take online classes never set foot on a campus, instead accessing the virtual campus that many universities create on computer servers connected to the Internet. Nonetheless, there are actions people can take to ensure success while attending online degrees universities.
Audit or evaluate the online degrees universities classes before enrolling a program. This process involves taking a course or two in your major of interest, getting the same level and quality of instruction as a student who plans to see the entire degree program through to the end. In most cases, universities will allow students the chance to audit these causes for free.
Verify that online degrees universities are accredited. If you are attending a well-known, established university that has campuses throughout your state and throughout the country, then that is one way to partially confirm that the school is accredited. Additionally, you should contact state and federal education departments to confirm that online degrees universities have regional and national accreditation. If you fail to do this crucial background check, you end up with a worthless degree upon graduation.
Compare the tuition expenses across several online degrees universities across the country. The prices per credit hour are often more expensive at private schools, over state and public universities. However, the level of instruction is the same.
Do not attempt cheat or skimp on your learning at online degrees universities. Be sure to study hard and take your online exams using your own knowledge and skills. Colleges have tools in place to root out cheating as well as plagiarism, and you could end up getting expelled if found cheating.
Invest in a modern laptop computer and wireless mobile broadband connection so that you can properly take courses in online degrees universities. A newer computer potentially has the most current software and hardware, ensuring you system can handle the rigors taking online classes, such as watching streaming videos. Also, get a broadband modem from your cell phone company, if you already have a voice plan. You can study for classes and take exams anywhere there is a cell tower.
Sources and Citations
- 11, November. "Free College: How to Audit Courses From 7 Elite Schools Online." Social Media News and Web Tips â" Mashable â" The Social Media Guide. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://mashable.com/2011/11/11/free-online-education/>.
- "Distance Education Courses | Harvard Summer School." Harvard Summer School | Summer College Courses & Summer Programs. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://www.summer.harvard.edu/courses/DistanceEd/>.
- Journals, The Business. "How to Continue Education While Working - The Business Journals." Business News - The Business Journals. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/how-to/growth-strategies/2012/01/how-to-continue-education-while-working.html?page=all>.
- "MSN Careers - How to Find a Quality Degree Online - Career Advice Article." Jobs & Careers Search Engine – MSN Careers. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2447-Job-Info-and-Trends-How-to-find-a-quality-degree-online/>.
- "MSN Careers - What Do Employers Say About Online Education? - Career Advice Article." Jobs & Careers Search Engine – MSN Careers. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2176-Job-Search-What-Do-Employers-Say-About-Online-Education/>.
- "Not All College Degrees Are Real - MonsterCollege™." MonsterCollege™ : Graduate Into Your Career. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://college.monster.com/news/articles/370-not-all-college-degrees-are-real>.
- "Online Degree Programs With Big Demand - Yahoo! Finance." Yahoo! Finance - Business Finance, Stock Market, Quotes, News. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://finance.yahoo.com/news/online-degree-programs-big-demand-171021396.html>.
- "Online Degrees and Your Career." Jobs & Job Search Advice, Employment & Careers | Careerbuilder.com. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-1066-Getting-Hired-Online-Degrees-and-Your-Career/>.
- "Online Universities: 5 Tips Before You Pursue a Degree - US News and World Report." US News & World Report | News & Rankings | Best Colleges, Best Hospitals, and More. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/articles/2010/10/05/online-universities-5-tips-before-you-pursue-a-degree>.
- "Top Online Bachelor’s Programs (usnews.com)." US News & World Report | News & Rankings | Best Colleges, Best Hospitals, and More. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education>.
- "Top Online Graduate Business Programs (usnews.com)." US News & World Report | News & Rankings | Best Colleges, Best Hospitals, and More. Web. 12 Feb. 2012. <http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/mba>.