The rise of the Internet and the ushering in of the digital age has made many traditional paper-based documents obsolete, including the need professionals have for business cards. At one point in time, people felt obligated to carry around business cards, on and off the job, because no one could predict when a business opportunity would arise. Even non-professionals, such as college students or average people in the community felt the need to create paper-based business cards because these stationery tools were effective means of communicating to other people who to get in contact and/or keep in touch.
Business card usage is increasingly in popularity, but people need a few tips and ideas to effectively use these tools in the 21st century.
Use your inkjet or laser printer for business cards. Many professionals have traditionally relied on commercial print shops to produce quality business cards, including clear and crisp texts and brilliant graphics and images. However, the modern personal computer and business computer is just as powerful as the commercial, industrial-grade printing technology.
Consult your printer's instruction manual to learn if it is capable of supporting card stock for business cards. Then visit your local office supply store to obtain the materials for business cards.
Learn about applications, or apps, to you can download to your smartphone for business cards. Many people use smartphones, which are basically a modern combination of cell phones and computers. Smartphones can easily communicate between each other, such as via email or instant messenger. Some phones even have transmitters and receivers that support the exchange of data, such as from the contacts list in one phone to another phone, in this case serving as a business card.
Use removable storage media for business cards. These types of devices include USB flash drives, SD memory cards and even compact discs. In addition, to including your basic contact information these sizable storage devices, you can include a resume, video footage and any other documents that you want to offer up to clients during an initial meeting.
Sources and Citations
- " Does Your 2012 Marketing Campaign Include a Business Card Magnet?| Reuters." Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/17/idUS196831+17-Jan-2012+GNW20120117>.
- " 3 Promising Digital Business Card Solutions." ReadWriteWeb - Web Apps, Web Technology Trends, Social Networking and Social Media. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.readwriteweb.com/biz/2010/07/3-promising-digital-business-card-solutions.php>.
- "Ditch Your Business Card for These Apps | Fast Company." FastCompany.com - Where ideas and people meet | Fast Company. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.fastcompany.com/1739892/ditch-your-business-card-for-these-apps>.
- "Facebook Business Cards Are Here: 200,000 Users Get Free Bundles." Social Media News and Web Tips – Mashable – The Social Media Guide. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://mashable.com/2012/01/05/facebook-moo-business-cards/>.
- Hansegard, Jens. " Lego Boss Has Business Card to Die For - The Source - WSJ." WSJ Blogs - WSJ. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/11/15/a-lego-business-card/>.
- "Is It Time to Finally Ditch Your Paper Business Cards?." Social Media News and Web Tips – Mashable – The Social Media Guide. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://mashable.com/2012/01/22/paper-business-cards/>.
- "Is Your Business Card Actively Working for You? - Forbes." Information for the World's Business Leaders - Forbes.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.forbes.com/sites/rawnshah/2011/10/21/is-your-business-card-actively-working-for-you/>.
- "LinkedIn Matches Business Cards With Profile Data In New Version Of iOS App CardMunch | TechCrunch." TechCrunch. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/15/linkedin-matches-business-cards-with-profile-data-in-new-version-of-ios-app-cardmunch/>.
- Misner, Ivan. "The ABCs of Business Cards | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/159468>.
- Misner, Ivan. "8 Ways to Revamp Your Business Card | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/184884>.
- Misner, Ivan. "How to Create a Logo | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/71902>.
- ROSENBLOOM, STEPHANIE. "QR Codes Provide Information When Scanned - NYTimes.com." NY Times Advertisement. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/fashion/qr-codes-provide-information-when-scanned.html>.
- "Small-Business Cards Offer Rewards, Some Risk | Entrepreneur.com." Business & Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/220745>.
- Apple. "New CardMunch iPhone app converts business cards into LinkedIn connections | VentureBeat." Tech News | Innovation News | Money News | VentureBeat. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/linkedin-cardmunch-app/>.
Most Recent Articles
About Printing Business Card Handouts
Every business man or a professional would love to look presentable especially when marketing out his/her own business. This motive will not be achieved without a business card. You do not n...
How Business Cards Can Be Recycled
If you are searching the internet for the term recycled business cards, it could be because you have plenty of unused business cards lying either at home or at your place of work. Nowadays, ...
How To Start Card Printing Business
In our day-to-day life we come across all types of cards, ranging from business cards to recharge cards and greeting cards. Have you ever thought, who makes these cards, and how are they mad...