Businesses use email as an additional tool to help a company run more efficiently and maybe even grow in sales and profits. The average person might use email to communicate with family and friends, and most don't worry too much about a cluttered and disorganized inbox. However, working professionals and companies have a lot to lose if they don't properly tend to electronic communications, which is why email management is a pressing need for many organizations.
Managers might have a hard time determining just how to manage a large, medium or even a small business's email communications. Email messages can drastically decrease the amount of time to get responses from coworkers about an issue or question. Customers have gravitated towards emailing companies instead of calling a customer service number. In order to realize these and other benefits, companies should consider the following tips regarding email management.
Set up notifications and alerts to help you stay on top of email management. Most professionals, actually recommend doing the exact opposite, by closing your email client application and only checking your account during scheduled times throughout the day. However, waiting an hour or two to read a business-related emails can result in lost opportunities if the message is time sensitive.
For example, if a manager runs a small business, such as a restaurant, the organization is probably reliant on daily shipments of fresh foods and other goods. If a supplier suddenly runs out of vital food items, such as flour for baking pastries, that affects the bakeries and eateries that rely on this core ingredient. In this modern age, suppliers commonly send mass emails when there is an emergency that affects their customers.
Stay on top of your emails as they arrive in your inbox so that you don't miss mission critical information.
Create folders and filters for email management. If your business receives several emails from a few account holders every day, then sort set up your email client program to automatically filter those incoming messages into their respective folder. For example, create a folder and filter for Client A, Client B, and Client C.
If you are dealing with multiple messages from consumers, consider investing in a customer relationship management system providers greater control over incoming and outgoing emails.
Separate personal from truly business communication to have more effective email management. Here again, a CRM program is helpful for managing internal communications from external communications.
Sources and Citations
- " E-mail - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/products/features/emailandgt..
- " Getting started with e-mail." Microsoft Windows. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-U.S./Windows7/Getting-started-with-e-mailandgt..
- " Five Methodologies to Deal with Email Overload." ReadWriteWeb - Web Apps, Web Technology Trends, Social Networking and Social Media. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/five_methodologies_to_deal_with_email_overload.phpandgt..
- "9 Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Apps for Small Business." Small Business News, Tips, Advice - Small Business Trends. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/01/9-crm-apps-small-business.htmlandgt..
- "7 Steps to Better E-Mail Management | Entrepreneur.com." Business and. Small Business | News, Advice, Strategy | Entrepreneur.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/171342andgt..
- "Apple - Mail - The smartest email app you'll ever use.." Apple. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/mail.htmlandgt..
- "Apple - OS X Lion - Apps you need and want are already included.." Apple. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.apple.com/macosx/apps/andgt..
- "How to Keep Your Email Inbox Under Control - David Silverman - Harvard Business Review." HBR Blog Network - Harvard Business Review. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://blogs.hbr.org/silverman/2009/05/how-to-keep-your-email-under-c.htmlandgt..
- TE. "Protecting Email: Comparison of Leading Email Management Systems - ." InformationWeek | Business Technology News, Reviews and Blogs. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.informationweek.com/whitepaper/Security/Attacks-Breaches/comparing-email-management-systems-protect-again-wp1249049780814andgt..
- "How to Organize Your E-mail Inbox | Inc.com." Small Business Ideas and Resources for Entrepreneurs. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/05/manage-email-inbox.htmlandgt..
- "How well did you manage e-mail hell in 2011? Tout has the answer | VentureBeat." VentureBeat | Tech. People. Money.. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2012. andlt.http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/04/how-well-did-you-manage-e-mail-hell-in-2011-tout-has-the-answer/andgt..
Most Recent Articles
Management Email Creation
There are a many different tools for email management creation on the market that will help you in planning and running a successful email marketing campaign either for whatever industry you...
How To Exchange Email With Friends
When you exchange email with your friends, you can keep in touch with just a few taps on your computer's keyboard. When you exchange email, you eliminate the need to pick up the phone each a...
How To Lookup An Email Address
Searching for an email address or email lookup, was previously thought as a cumbersome job to perform. If we probe deeply for the reason behind why an email lookup has become such an integra...