A host of factors may contribute to problematic hair. Some of them include; malnutrition, exposure to extreme temperatures, smoking, genetic causes, lack of hygiene, chemotherapy etc. Let us take a look at problematic hair solution.
Integrating the below tips into your lifestyle may also prevent hair problems in the future.
- Eat a balanced diet, you are what you eat. Hair requires iron, protein, vitamins, zinc, calcium and omega 3 fatty acids to grow well. Thus, ensuring proper intake of all nutrients is the number one hair solution.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, try not to smoke and drink too much. Work out regularly and get enough sleep. Engage in recreational activities to relieve stress as stress is among the major causes for greying and loss of hair.
- If your lifestyle requires you to be exposed to extreme temperatures for extended durations, then protect your hair by wearing a loose fitting cap. Also, do not use very hot water for washing your hair, use lukewarm water instead.
- Hair products hair gels and hair sprays contain alcohol. This results in dry hair. Thus, use these products sparingly.
- Try to avoid excessive use of hair dryers. Hair dryers cause the cuticles on the hair to be forced open.
- Avoid thermal hair styling treatments. These treatments weaken the hydrogen bonds of the hair and thus bring about a general degradation in the quality of your hair.
- Use shampoos and conditioners that suit the type of your hair.
Below is a problematic hair solution for each specific problem:
Dandruff: Dandruff is nothing but dead skin which is being rapidly shed by the scalp. There are a number of causes for dandruff. They are; dryness, cold temperatures, high heat, genetic traits, hormonal imbalances, stress, poor hygiene, malnutrition etc. As such, there is no ‘cure’ for dandruff, it is natural for skin to shed. However, dandruff can be controlled if you follow the steps mentioned below:
- Use an anti dandruff shampoo as a hair solution for dandruff. Do not use a strong shampoo as this is irritating to the scalp. Use a mild shampoo instead, wash once or twice daily.
- Use moisturising agents on your hair. Hair oil and hair creams are a good hair solution for dry hair/scalp. Massaging the oil onto the scalp will also improve blood circulation.
- Ensure a sufficient intake of vitamin B6.
- If dandruff gets severe, visit a dermatologist.
Hair loss: Hair loss in young men is generally due to genetic factors which are triggered by unhealthy lifestyles. This is known as andro genetic alopecia and it is caused by high testosterone levels in the body. Minoxydil is the only known hair solution (non surgical) for restoring hair loss in men. Surgical methods generally comprise of hair transplant surgeries. In women, hair loss may be countered by following the steps mentioned below:
- Combing or brushing hair gently.
- Hair is very fragile when it is wet. Always comb/brush your hair after it is dry.
- Use hair dryers only when necessary and avoid too many thermal styling procedures. (Also refer to the 7 tips mentioned above)
Alopecia Areata: This is related to a disorder in the immune system. In Alopecia, the immune system begins to attack the hair follicles and this causes bald patches on the head. This condition affects men as well as women and perfect hair solution for this problem is to visit a dermatologist as this is a complex condition.
Wear a wig: This is the simplest hair solution. It is suitable for people who have already become bald and do not have the resources to spend on expensive surgical procedures.
Tips and comments
While these tips may not necessarily eliminate problematic hair, they will certainly help to stop further deteriorating of problematic hair.