A gall bladder is a precious small organ that is pear shaped and its main purpose is to store bile that is made in the liver. Gall bladder diseases are common and they tend to affect women more than men. People can live for years with gall bladder diseases without realizing. They experience digestive problems like constipation, diarrhea, nausea and indigestion but never relate them to gall bladder diseases. The severity of gall bladder diseases depends on the cause and the type of gall bladder disease affecting an person. An understanding of the different types and symptoms of gall bladder diseases is essential in assisting an person to recognize a disease early enough. If diagnosed early, most gall bladder diseases can be cured.
There are many different types of gall bladder diseases that affect different people due to different reasons. The following are the common gall bladder diseases:
- Cholecystitis: refers to inflammation of the gall bladder that can be with sudden painful onsets. It is mainly caused by gall stones, tumors or other illness that affect the gall bladder. Acute cholecystitis can be as a result of bacterial infections or chemical irritations. If gall stones are not present in this case, the treatment given includes laxatives or antispasmodics.
- Gall bladder cancer: gall bladder cancer does not present any symptoms and for this reason, it is diagnosed when it has advanced. If detected early enough, gall bladder removal is the best treatment before the cancer spreads to other tissue of the bile.
- Gallstones: these are solid crystalline precipitates that form in the gall bladder. Gall stones can be very painful and are the cause of the many gall bladder diseases. The gallstones may block the gall bladder at the neck or even get stuck in the bile duct causing gallbladder failure.
- Gall bladder polyps: are growths that protrude from the gall bladders lining but are mostly malignant. Sometimes the polyps may become too large surgery must be conducted.
Symptoms of common gall bladder diseases tend to be similar making it hard to identify the particular disease that might be affecting a patient. The following are some of the common symptoms of gall bladder diseases.
- Constant discomfort and tenderness under the right ribcage.
- severe or moderate pain under the right rib cage
- severe abdominal pain on the upper side
- Sharp abdominal pain especially after meals
- Pain between the shoulder blades
- Indigestion especially after eating fatty foods
- Chalky colored light fatty stool
- Feeling full even when you have not eaten
- Bitter fluid coming up after eating food
- Belching and burping
Risk factors for the gall bladder diseases:
- Age people who are over 50 years are at a higher risk of contracting gall bladder diseases
- Family history of gall bladder diseases
- Using antacids frequently
- Being overweight
- Gender women are more at risk of suffering from gall bladder diseases than men
- Taking estrogen and birth control pills
- Eating poor food diet
- If suffering from diabetes
- Continuous use of antidepressants that slow down the gall bladder contractions
- Taking of alcohol
- Taking immunosuppressive drugs
- Having low stomach acid
- Food allergies and sensitivities
Most Recent Articles
Health Benefits Of the B 12 Vitamin
In order to maintain good health, humans need a variety of vitamins and minerals in their diet. These nutrients can come from a variety of foods and drinks. Unfortunately, due to today&rsquo...
Top 5 Skin And Beauty Tips
Beauty is something every woman strives for. We all want to look our best in the days when a youthful look is so important. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on skin creams and pot...
What you need to know about anthrax
Anthrax is a serious, life-threatening, infectious disease caused by the gram-positive, spore-forming bacteria called Bacillus anthracis. Under the microscope, these bacteria appear like lar...