The brain is a very important part of the body since it is the control center of the body. The brain controls the speech, thoughts, memory and movement. It also regulates the functioning of various parts of the body. The brain prone to many different types of diseases some of which can be very fatal if not diagnosed early. Diseases of the brain are the diseases that affect the brains normal functioning. Some diseases of the brain are genetic while others are caused by different factors.
Common diseases of the brain include:
- Dementia: it attacks the older people from the age of 50 and is characterized by memory loss, difficulty of performing normal tasks, language problems, change of mood and loss of initiative. It is caused by Alzheimer disease, vascular dementia which is the damage of blood vessels leading to the brain, brain injury and brain tumors. Brain cells can die and result to speech difficulties, mental disturbance and muscle weakness. A person with dementia cannot tell when he/she is suffering the changes even when their moods and personality changes. A dementia patient should be under doctors care at all times and if staying at home should be take for regular checkups.
- Parkinson's disease: it is a generative and progressive disease that is caused by loss of brain cells that are responsible for the production of dopamine. These nerve cells are located at the substantia nigra which is responsible for the control of muscle movements. Loss of these nerve cells results to muscle movement difficulty. Everyone losses these cells but the people who suffer from Parkinson's tend to loss more than 50 percent. Parkinson's is characterized by tremors, depression, swallowing difficulties, posture instability and difficulties in speech.
- Alzheimer's brain disease: it is a common type of dementia that affects a lot of people. It tempers with a people memory, ability to reason and learn new things, mode of communication and ability to carry out the regular daily activities. Alzheimer causes an abnormal collection of a protein known as amyloid which is found in the brain area that is essential for learning and maintaining sense of things and a buildup of extracellular plague and brain atrophy.
- Huntington's brain disease: it is a progressive genetic disease that shows its symptoms when a person reaches 30 years and above. The amount of neurotransmitters acetylcholine and GABA increases the amounts of dopamine in the brain. This increase in the amounts of dopamine causes clumsiness and strange uncontrollable postures and movement.
- Brain tumors: the cells of the brain grow and divide to form new cells that are meant to replace the dead cells. In some cases, the new cells are formed when the old ones are not yet dead the formation of a mass called a tumor. A brain tumor can be benign or malignant. A benign tumor does not contain cancer cells while the malignant tumors contain the cancer cells and are life threatening.
There are many factors that lead to diseases of the brain. Different diseases of the brain are caused by different factors some of which can be avoided. It is therefore adVisable to learn the causes of these brain diseases so that it can be easy to prevent them from attacking. The following are the main and common causes of brain diseases.
Things that cause trauma to the brain like car accidents, falling, assault and injury during sport:
- Alcohol and substance abuse
- Ear infections
- Reaction to certain medications
- Exposure to toxins like mercury and lead
- Blood clots.
- Brain contusions
The symptoms of diseases of the brain vary depending on the type of brain disease affecting an person. The following are the main symptoms of the common diseases of the brain:
- Unexplained regular headaches
- Nausea that is sometimes accompanied by vomiting
- Changes in personality and behavior
- Memory loss
- Ringing in the ear
- Numbness and weakness
- Twitching of the muscles
- Extreme sleepiness and inability to wake up
- Sensitivity to light
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Dilated pupils
Most Recent Articles
Health Benefits Of the B 12 Vitamin
In order to maintain good health, humans need a variety of vitamins and minerals in their diet. These nutrients can come from a variety of foods and drinks. Unfortunately, due to today&rsquo...
Top 5 Skin And Beauty Tips
Beauty is something every woman strives for. We all want to look our best in the days when a youthful look is so important. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on skin creams and pot...
What you need to know about anthrax
Anthrax is a serious, life-threatening, infectious disease caused by the gram-positive, spore-forming bacteria called Bacillus anthracis. Under the microscope, these bacteria appear like lar...